Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Memory of Artomatic (Washington, DC)

It has been a couple of weeks now since I spent the day in DC touring the officeless office building where the most recent edition of Artomatic was housed. I'd never been before (though it's been going on for around 10 years) and I wasn't sure what to expect. After entering the lobby and taking the elevator up, I found nine floors of work by artists mostly unknown to me, perhaps mostly unknown in general. Taking in so much visual information in a such a short amount of time quickly becomes tiring; it is quite difficult to give full attention to everything in such a situation. Most often I found myself passing over many displays in search of something that would simply grab my attention. This happened only once, when I came upon a series of small drawings done with colored pencils which depicted ambiguous scenes taken from anonymous internet videos. I do not remember the artist's name, unfortunately, but the fuzzily rendered images remain fresh in my mind.

No comments: