Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Elf World: Inneractive Apiecolypse

Speaking of girls pointing cute plastic guns, I saw a paper mache life sized elf on a bison pointing a machine gun that had been colorfully decorated in a zigzag pattern. Attached to her bison was a cart with a tent full of freshly baked apple pies.

I am deeply interested in immersive environments for play and the great panorama of Elf World lured me in. The colors were spectacular and thoughtful, lots of saturation and brightness and textures. The quilt of hexagons and other textures made for a watering hole.

We heard there would be pies for the eating. There were pies inside the cart but no cutlery. A clear sign these were not the pies to be eaten. Amidst our search, Barbara approached us and announced there are pies and tea in the back for the eating.
Her husband Tom was selling souvenirs, you could even get a pattern to make the ply wood structure of the bison.

Feeling under dressed, and like a tourist to Elf World, as I ate my slice of apple pie, I sifted through the colors and textures and observed my surroundings, the variety of American symbols - apple pies, guns, teepees, great landscapes of the west, traditional native american patterns, a contemporary windmill, the bison, a "factory" of elf women on the pie making mission from the gathering of grains, picking the apples to baking them. Suddenly I felt the distance between my food source and the makers of my food in my own everyday.

Nevertheless, to complete my blue-jean wearing tourist experience of this art installation, I had to have my picture taken eating the said pie. mmm mmm

pie @ elf world

Elf World: Inneractive Apiecolypse
Space 1026

No comments: